Tuesday, November 26, 2019

I’m back!?


Decided to give blogger one more try, lo & behold it’s working!
I’ll start again with the most recent happenings then, perhaps backtrack. 

Ms. Tessa aka Xtacee Little Deuce Coupe

After Ivy’s passing this past spring, Hubs & I felt that we’d now just be a one dog household with Theo our ACD. Not long after this decision, we both realized we “needed” a Cardigan in our lives. We’ve not been without for like 20 years!  Having been in the breed that long, I had contacts & put some feelers out. Being not so popular a breed, there can be quite the wait list. An old friend happened to have a litter, non were available but, being an old friend one became available. I knew I wanted a female, Theo being male though neutered, the dynamics would just be simpler.  I was soon driving 8 hours to meet our pup. I had two bitches to choose from, one a show prospect, the other a pet puppy.
We’d all looked at their pictures, Grandsons included & agreed if breeder felt pet puppy would be a better fit, we’d go for her. I mean, I hadn’t shown in ten years & had no intention to start, right!?
     Well, both pups had amazing temperaments, as did Mommy & having known the sires father, knew he most likely did as well. I decided to go with the pet, her litter name was already Tessa, we all loved it so it stuck. Litter theme was the Beach Boys, I’m country so, little knowledge led me to google, her sire is Beach Cruiser so, Little Deuce Coupe became her registered name. 🤷🏻‍♀️
     Tessa fit right in, Theo found her need to herd & boss annoying but, adored having someone who played with him. Lincoln at 5 & our official animal whisperer was over the moon, Jefferson at 3, was aghast at this ankle biter chasing him about literally biting his ankles. Cowboy boots, or apple bitter on his legs solved that & he began enjoying her as well.
After a few weeks of watching her, I began to realize she might be something special. Lincoln told the breeder, “she’s perfect, you should’ve kept her!”  Lincoln, knowing I’d shown in the past & having a big love for pretty ribbons, kept begging me to show her. I finally asked Hubs if he minded, he knew a good Cardi by now & was on board. Called breeder & got permission.
     Long story, shortened a wee bit, she’s competed in three shows & won the bitch points each time! Pictured above with blue 1st in 6 to 9 months ribbon, purple Winners Bitch (WB)  ribbon, red/white
Best of Opposite Sex (BOS) ribbon & maroon Best Owner Handled (BOH) ribbon!  She’d beat two Champion bitches (not a dirty word in dog show land) for the BOS. What had been 2 points towards her Championship, became a 3 point major!
     BOH is something newish to AKC, it’s meant to encourage owners who show to continue competing once their dog has finished their Championship. Now, besides the normal groups of Best of Breed), some shows include groups for BOH. Anyhow, with us both needing practice, I decided to stay for BOH groups for that reason only.
     Into the ring we go, myself & puppy Tessa out playing with the big already Champion herding breeds. I had her fave ringside toy & was determined to make it fun for her. Just after three shows, Tessa was getting the hang of what’s expected & becoming more confident. We did our thang for the judge then stood in the lineup for the judges choices. We were practicing & just having fun with no expectations. Can you see where this is going yet?
Yep, the judge pointed to Tessa for a Group 3!!!
She was the only puppy, the only non CH in the ring!  The other winners were actually more excited for her than their own wins. While it’s not unheard of, it’s not common at all. Actually, in my past 10 years of showing, this was only my 3rd time in the Group ring & my only placement!  Can you say “Cloud 9!”  She’s been shown three times, thus far undefeated in the classes (non Champion competition) with 7 points towards her Championship!  Her breeder is calling this her “Wonder Litter) as one brother already has not just his Championship but, his GrandChampionship as well at just 7 months!  
     I’m so glad I listened to Lincoln in deciding to show her. This lil girl is going to be a blast to show!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you are back. I love Corgi's. We had one growing up. I swear that I will have one of of my own one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cardigans are the best. Make sure breeder does genetic screening and don’t fall for the blue Pembroke scam. People are mixing the two breeds and selling them as purebred for a fortune!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete