Monday, November 15, 2010

bitblanket, riding bareback, new game...

     With winter coming I've been getting a flashback of my little brother with his tongue stuck on a metal ice cube tray.  I think he'd been dared? Not certain, though most likely by me!!!  Anyway, thinking of that, I'd been contemplating a bit warmer for Camryn.  I had no intention of putting the bit in my armpit guys!!!  I knew I could make one using rice and heating it in the microwave preriding, but what if it didn't retain the heat from house, to barn, to bridling?  What if it were to hot?  Found one online that utilized those hand warmers you can pick up in any sporting goods department.  That would mean needing to keep stocked up on those, didn't feel like it was worth extra trips if I ran out, or having to buy them perhaps frequently.  Or missing a ride on a cold but, otherwise perfect day if I didn't have one.  I found bitblanket.com, they have an electric bit warmer, so ordered one.   Though it isn't brrrrrrrrrrr cold yet, I decided to give it a try.  You wrap it around the bit, plug it in, then groom, & saddle.  Says not to leave it for longer than 20 minutes.  Today, as I used a bareback pad it only took 10 but, still the bit was warm to my hand.  I LOVE IT, and am pretty sure Camryn will be appreciative as well.
     Felt lazy, so decided to simply ride bareback today.  I have one of those fleecy bareback pads, borrowed from a friend who never used it.  I think it's much comfier for Camryn having the pad between my bones and hers.  Though we both have our own padding as it is!  Perhaps it's from having ridden three hours the other day, perhaps it's my joints getting older?  But, riding with a saddle doesn't seem to cause my hips to rotate as much as without one? Of course Camryn being a Drafty Hafy Gurl, has something to do with it I'm sure.  I do have bursitis in my hips and could really feel it today.  As we rode a while, I did loosen up and didn't hurt quite so much as in the beginning.  We just walked and worked on a new game.  I'm certainly not a balanced enough or strong enough rider to trot bareback, with sore hips to boot.
     Began on the ground with a ball that she can pick up.  On the ground we got as far as 20 feet, then she'd hand it to me.  I follow along and stand nearby to take it from her.  Riding I just asked for her to touch it, as leaning forward to take it bareback just didn't seem like such a good idea LOL.  Though I was wearing my new helmet!  We'll try to get a video once we're further along and perhaps have hubby man the camera rather than myself. 
Supposed to rain later tonight for the next few days.  So, I bought a little bike horn while grocery shopping today.  If we can't ride, may as well play useless games right :)  Camryn can "honk her own horn!" 
Reason for so much time on my hands, I work at a greenhouse which is seasonal.  Last week was our last week.  Not sure if Camryn will feel lucky to have me home so much?  Wonder if the house will stay any cleaner?  The barn won't suffer that's for sure!
Off to dremel my sons dogs toenails...

No comments:

Post a Comment