Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Family stuff & shedding out...

     Been busy, actually got to be with all three kids all in one place this weekend.  Aside from holidays & family cookouts it's a rare event. 
Two of my three are Army Reserve (same unit). Though Jillian lives a few hours from their unit, she travels up during drill weekends. Christopher is also the units Civilian Administrator, so she needed to stop at his place for some paperwork.  Adam called Fri. evening, the three of them were headed out for a bite to eat at a sports bar that Christopher's girlfriend works at.  Hubs was at a college basketball game that night.  I hesitated for a few as I don't do bars (long story), then decided what the H and went to join them.  So glad I did :).
     Hubby is going back to school & which meant our defunct printer would need replaced.  So, Sat we headed off to Office Max, where Adam (the baby) is Manager.  Got our printer and got to see Adam AGAIN!!!
     Sun. got a call from Christopher & Samantha (his girlfriend), a customer of hers gave her 4 tickets to the Cleveland Auto show.  So, off we went, had a great time, the boys drooling over the classic muscle cars, Samantha at some mid luxury cars that would fit a future posse of kids.  I hopped in & out of nearly every truck they had.  Why, oh why do trucks cost so much?  I mean even used, it's ridiculous.  After the four of us went to lunch.  Then back at Christopher & Samantha's (where by the way Adam lives as well), Jillian shows up to give Chris some paperwork.  What a super weekend filled with my baybees!!!  Wouldn't mind a repeat every weekend, not gonna happen but, would love it.
     Today, I'd depleted the store of hay (usually 30) we keep down on pallets.  Lifted all the pallets, cleaning under them.  This by the way is the first spring where I haven't had to toss the bottom layer due to molding.  Originally, we'd put the hay on pallets, but moisture found it's way to the bottom stack.  So, hubby built a platform for the hay, still moisture seeped thru.  This past year, I put pallets on the platform & walla no hay loss.  After I got that cleaned up, I pulled another 20 or so down from the loft and cleaned up the loft.  Still have a small supply in the loft, though come May we'll be needing to bring in a load for sure.
     After, because I have so much energy!!!  "NOT"  I grabbed the grooming block and had at it with Ms. Camryns shedding.  Actually, I've been having at it daily for the past week but, today took a few pix of the pile.  I find shedding her out rather therapeutic for some odd reason.  Last year I went thru three grooming blocks, I prefer those to metal or rubber curries.  I did find a product online called "SleekEz", google it and check it out.  They have several videos showing how great it works.  However the videos seem to carefully omit a visual of it's underside.  I'd like to know what it's made of, I mean it comes in contact with my horse so to me just makes sense.  I wrote them last week but, no reply.  So, guess I won't be ordering one of those.  If anyone has one or has knowledge of the product, feel free to comment and let me know if it's worth it? 
     OK, so now some pix of future bird nest lining...


"Three strokes worth of hair"

"off one side of neck"
     
I put all the hair on a tall tree stomp.  I'm hoping lots of baby birds benefit from it's warmth this spring.

4 comments:

  1. Has it warmed up enough for shedding? I figured your girl would keep her coat longer than mine. Seems like they are in the same boat by the look of the pics. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - she is really letting go of her hair. My guys are just beginning - Doc a bit more than Pippin. Enjoy....ah-choo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She just started shedding out in earnest about a week ago. Shedding isn't about the "weather" it, about the light cycle. Rather than being pitch dark at 5 now, it's become closer to 7. So more light means spring is coming to their bodies, hence the shedding. It's in the high 30's today w/rain. Tomorrow more snow :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder the mare I ride is shedding like crazy even though we're still single digits at night. Living in the land of the midnight sun must be encouraging her to go bald prematurely. I'm not familiar with the tool you mention but have a horse furminator. Even though it has metal teeth it doesn't seem to bother the horse. I also use one of the metal curry combs that is oval shaped and has rounded edges. Had enough hair for a small pony on Monday.

    ReplyDelete