Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Sad & confused...

The sad is that my FIL passed Monday evening. He is/was a very dear man who will be sorely missed. He'd been born & raised in WV & moved back there just as I'd met my Hubs. His health took bad turns for a few years, heart surgery got him on the right path. Hubs was doing a lot of driving being there to be with & help him. It was decided with FIL in agreement after his wife passed, to get him closer to us and his three daughters. We decided to purchase another home for us, then move him into our then current home. It's a raised ranch with minimal stairs, two acres for him to mow to his hearts content, close enough to church, gas & stores to allow him his independence. He became part time minister again at church, as well as lead singer & thrived!  
He'd broken a hip late 2016, bounced right back. A week ago he'd fallen, thankfully we'd gotten him a life alert. While there was only minimal injury from the fall, it was discovered he had blood in his urine along with other things that weren't quite right that he'd not shared with us.  As Dr's attempted to figure things out, he crashed, 16 minutes of CPR brought him back "kind of."  He was now unresponsive with his body shutting down. Poor Hubs despite his own pain made the decision to allow his Dad & God the final decision.  FIL is now reunited with 10 of his 13 siblings & two late wives. His wish was to rest once again in WV, his past congregation have gladly taken the lead there assisting Hubs in making his wish come true. His three daughters, well let's just say we're blessed that one is sane and uncontrolling & that FIL knew who he could trust to abide by his wishes and be fair. Puts, so much on Hubs besides the pain of his loss but, he's getting it done. 
The confusing part: today I got a call regarding a gelding I'd checked out as I was selling Camryn-pre Grace. The owner is in her 70's and has had him since he was a two year old. She'd decided at the last minute she just couldn't part with him, which I understood. Before Merlin, I'd called her to see where she stood regarding selling Cha-chi, she still couldn't part with him. She called me this morning and left the message that he'd be for sale shortly, her health wasn't allowing her to ride much any longer. He's been being kept ridden by some of the people at her barn when she can't.  She plans to get him ridden more frequently, then offer him up for sale, I have first dibs. I left her a brief message regarding what we have going on and that I'd call her sometime next week to talk. What to do?   
Not the time to discuss horse things with Hubs, we have to clear the house, do some needed repairs, and get it sold!  Plus I have the Mini's & Grandsons to think about. Do I have time?
I've spoken with my friend who lives next door to my FIL's house. She has a boarding barn & a woman who Cha-chi's owner had keeping him ridden & trained now boards with her whome she trusts. Her thoughts were to ask owner if perhaps she'd consider a half lease, move him there, I'd be able to ride, get to know him, take lessons with her friend who's worked with him...she'd still of course be able to ride as she could & go from there?  Logic says no, BUT!!!

8 comments:

  1. So sorry about your father-in-law's passing. Too bad the timing of Cha-chi's availability wasn't better. Maybe he's being presented now to help you through this hard time? Or maybe since the timing is off, that's a message that he's not the right horse for you? That is confusing. I'm not sure how to interpret it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And your right, my common sense says I need to pass. Unfortunately when it comes to dogs & horses, my common sense doesn't always take the lead lol

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about FIL it's not easy is it? No matter how much you know it's the right thing for them to go somehow human emotions get involved. Hows your hubs doing? As for the horse.......well do it do it do it. Seriously though go with your gut. We do seem to be mirroring each others lives at the moment. Not the first time. Spooky lives across the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, you're so right, it is hard. Hubs is keeping himself exhausted, not the best way but, it's his way. I still have to discuss the horse with him. Part of me is YES, then I think, will I be doing a disservice to him and/or the Mini's. Biting off more than I can chew kind of thing. Yes, we do tend to mirror one another don't we. Some bad, most good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound like our thoughts are the same regarding new horses. Yes no yes no what if but but but.....arggghh

      Delete
    2. Definitely giving me something to dwell on. Will do me good at funeral.

      Delete
  4. I am sorry about your FIL- that is so difficult. And to add the gelding into the mix. So here are some questions for you: 1. do you want to ride again? 2. If the answer is yes- do you want to do it now? 3. do you really want this gelding? 4. Would your answers be different if your FIL hadn't passed?

    If the answers are yes- then talk to the woman and tell her your situation and see if there is some negotiating room around time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good questions. As much as I want him, I'm leaning towards passing on him. Realistically, he'd sit while I work the Mini's and visa versa. And Pippn being young, needs work.

      Delete