Monday, May 30, 2011

Awesome first ride out...

     Camryn & I trailered out for our first off property ride yesterday.  I was so proud of my Hafy Gurl, she was a ROCK STAR!  We rode with three other horses, two she knows well, one she's met so I'm sure that helped.  Apparently Camryn doesn't mind riding alone as more than half the time we were waaaaaay behind the others LOL.  I didn't mind as I thought of it as a test.  The others even turned out of sight a few times, Camryn couldn't have cared less.  Her only concern was if she could sidle over to check out the greenery along the trail sides.  Yes, once I did allow it, just cause she's a ROCK STAR though.  Came across a downed tree which was over her knees, I was hesitating on if she could do it.  Shouldn't have doubted the ROCK STAR as she walked over as if she'd been doing it daily.  Encountered a group cantering towards us, ROCK STAR was like "hey, hi you guys".  A dog and his people, Camryn wanted to say "howdy", several joggers and a group of Fox Trotters doing their fox trot. 
     At one point just beyond a bend in the trail was a house, someone out of sight was pounding a hammer.  Lead horse was, "nope not going there", second horse was with him on that decision, third horse agreed as well.  Camryn was, "what's the hold up guys, let's get going".  We ended up taking the trail away from the house, I'd have been interested to see how Camryn did up close. 
     On our return the lead horse I understand has a habit of hurrying home, his rider was having an arm wrestling match to keep him from doing so.  The second rider having experienced her horse taking off to follow before, had plans to bail.  The third rider decided her best bet was to ride with Camryn &, I'm guessing because calm begets calm.  They never did take off, but it wasn't for lack of trying on the geldings part.
     Camryn did pick up her pace a bit on the way home, merely walking a little faster.  Once she attempted to out trot a bomber fly, settled right down with a half halt.  Several times we trotted to catch back up, again slowed down to a walk as soon as she was asked.
     Everyone (especially those who'd ridden with my TWH) were so thrilled at how Camryn did.  None as much as I though.  Camryn got lots of petting on the wither with a "That a girl" thrown in.  Hopefully out schooling will have her ground manners as good as her in saddle manners up to par soon.
     Only negative is that her trailer loading after our trial run went to H in a hand basket.  While it doesn't take long to convince her it's OK, she makes it clear it's not her idea of a good time.  Something we'll be working on, do have to wait till our area is dried a bit, can't circle till it's her idea to go in with all the mud out back.  I am wondering if taking the middle partition out in the trailer would help?  For the most part, we won't be trailering with another horse.  Once in she settles, exits calmly as well.
     Once home she enjoyed her sponge bath very much.  As I did her udders, her head lowered, eyes closed, lips just smooching a way LOL  She even quit eating to experience it properly.
My birthday truck pulls the trailer like there is nothing there at all!
GOOD GIRL CAMRYN!!!
Did I mention she's a ROCK STAR?

No comments:

Post a Comment