Sunday, May 15, 2011

Lots of bedding...

Finally, found a place to get stall bedding that doesn't cost an arm & a leg.  70# bags for 3.50 each plus the guy helped hubs load it.  It's not that chunky stuff like at TSC, that stuff is so nonabsorbent it's ridiculous, it's so thick it doesn't fall thru the rake causing to much waste, plus soooo pricey in teeny bags.  Farmer's Exchange stuff is more absorbent but, once again pricey & small bags.  Another place I tried was virtually sawdust.  This stuff seems just right, falls thru the rake nicely, absorbent, huge bags and great price. 
 Camryn gave the bedding a big hooves up literally!!!  Wish I'd had my camera, as soon as she entered her bedroom she did a stop, drop, and roll.  Not her norm,  I was concerned at first till she hopped up with a vigorous shake.  She does lay down at night to sleep normally which is evidenced by bedding all over here.  Her tail is nearly always filled with bedding each morning.
Yet another plus for having a horse trailer is I was able to get 35 bags rather than our normal 20. Having just Camryn it should last us till fall.
Got half of the load in the barn, the rest will be stored on pallets & tarped.  I've been trying to loose some poundage so have taken on this task myself.  Ughhhhhh....

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing nicer than a clean horsey bed. I love it when the stalls smell like pine - sadly, that doesn't last long!
    Doc is such a neatnik that I still have bedding from the original set up this fall! I put in 6 bags of pellets, spray them so they fall apart into fine sawdust, and bank the extra along the sides. As I clean out dirty bedding, I just pull clean bedding from the side. Since Doc rarely messes in his stall, he still has clean, sweet smelling bedding banked on the side. Now Pippin... that's another story!!

    ReplyDelete