Saturday, May 7, 2011

day 2 of homework...

     What can I say, some good, some bad.  Headed over to Danette's with Camryn to meet up with her and Dakota.  We lead the girls thru the woods practicing "whoa & backing" that went well.  Not perfect but, as she's learning a different cue for backing I was happy with the results.  We did have a few arguments over forging for grass, but much better than our first trek leading thru the woods.
     Once there we discovered a few of the boarders were also at the arena and planning to ride.  Rather altered our training agenda but, decided to make the best of it.  I was "attempting" to long line Camryn!  Could tell her focus was totally not on me but, on the door leading out to "grass".  My attempts to regain her focus were met with a look of "cut it out "B" or I'm out of here!".  A temper tantrum was imminent.  I know I'm a wimp but, for safeties sake I altered my plan and worked on our ground tie (she's doing that nicely), some leading, whoa, disengaging...I also opted to click treat.  SIGH why do people think that's "spoiling" your horse.  They just do not get it, & why do they feel the need to voice their opinion?  I keep my mouth shut unless asked for opinion unless something could be dangerous.  Took all I had to keep my inner growl to myself!!!  Anyway, with Camryn now focused and "wanting" to play I mounted up.  Boy is she rusty, my fault as I'm a winter wimp, I was rusty too.  Still all in all it went well, I mostly worked on getting past the open door without needing to one rein stop LOL.  We never did end up outside so that went well!!!
    Once the boarders were finished riding I unsaddled, Danette stalled Dakota, shut the outer doors & I longed Camryn at liberty a while.  Danette keeps some hay within nibbling range at the indoor gate.  So my goal was getting her past that point twice both ways without reminding Camryn to continue moving her feets.  Took a bit, but my agenda was met.
     As I'm working on this Lori a friend came with her horse, her son, a friend and the friends two little ones.  Then a friend of mine had stopped by my house, hubs sent her and her granddaughter over to the arena.  A good time was held by all, the children in particular.  I did find out that Camryn likes kids a lot, I led Lexi (friends granddaughter) on her for quite a while.  Debbi is a photographer, so I hope to soon have some good pix of all the kids having fun.  The other two were way little, Angie still in diapers, Charlie approx. three.  They so enjoyed their time on Eclipse, Charlie giggling the entire time, Angie with the biggest grin.  At one point Charlie lost his little boot, his Mom Suzanne hopped up to get it.  I suggested she stay put as Camryn would take care of it.  First Camryn gave the boot a good sniff over, then did her thing and handed the boot to me.  Little Charlie & his Mom were in shock LOL.
     Two storms passed over as we played.  Another was on the way, as Stephen Lori's son is in a wheelchair we decided we'd better hit the road.  They got Stephen on the ATV (he can't walk but, he can drive), the little ones in the trailer behind it.  Lori lead Eclipse behind them as Danette & I brought up the rear riding the girls.  I can tell since Camryn's diet she feels much perkier LOL.  No lagging behind for her, she behaved nicely a little spook as we passed a burn in the woods, but not a biggie by any means. 
   The walk home, wasn't a pretty site, the grass once again brought out the criminal in her, I'd forgotten to put on my "no you can't eat the grass" gloves so we had several arguments over that SIGH.  Won't forget to wear the gloves again I promise!!!
     As soon as I get pictures I'll post them.  Can't wait to see them myself, Deb takes such awesome photos.  Corgis and horses are my thing, Corgis and camera's are hers.  She's a much better photographer than I am a rider however!!!

PS, Wishing all you Mum's A Lovely Mothers Day.  With daughter in Africa, eldest son away in Texas for a week, youngest son being the most forgetful is the only one nearby.  Go figure LOL.

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention that you are also an awesome painter! Dixie is waiting for her portait;) Hope all is well and you haven't gotten stuck in the mud too many times!

    ReplyDelete