Sunday, August 21, 2016

After trailer runabout...

First off, you may recognize my able assistant... 


Hand him a muck rake & he's on a mission lol. With little Jefferson to care for as well, Lincoln isn't getting nearly as much mucking time as he'd like. It's difficult at best with two of them to watch, one being only 6 months. Jefferson is a happy boy but, sitting in his stroller while Lincoln & I appear & disappear in the stall is a bit much for him. I can't just wheel him in the stall without the risk of him wearing what Lincoln is scooping lol. He still lacks control with his aim. Hubs is going to cut back his rake handle to hopefully help. 

Today part of trailer practice included loading, moving the trailer then unloading on my own. It's one of my goals as while Camryn loaded well, it was a 2 person job. I have to lead her in, someone else had to remain at the back, then to do the butt bar before she backed herself right back out.
 Grace did awesome A+.  She's been loading with me standing outside and sending her in. Then stands allowing me to do the butt bar, she also waits till I ask her to unload. Once I unloaded her, then led her back in the paddock, she took off running & running & running. I'm pretty sure she had to make sure her neighbor donkeys were still there. A few time in the clip I lost her in the frame. Very difficult to see if I was focused on her with the sun behind her. That tail up, is she impersonating an Arabian?

Hubby is leaving for Canada in the morning, I'll be practicing loading outside the paddock, hoping that goes well. Plan to trailer her for our lesson on Wednesday. Hooves crossed!  

6 comments:

  1. Since yesterday I had to help someone with the butt bar step of loading, I've been wondering about it. I know the official safety way of loading and unloading, where you don't tie until the butt bar is up, and vice versa, but I've never had a horse that required two people for this process. It makes sense though, at some point the horse isn't trained enough to stand there untied while you get the butt bar up, and you can't be in two places at once. In all my years trailering I never gave this a thought, because the three horses I took places could be tied safely. I wonder how does one get to that point? Since you're now in the process, what is your experience?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to guess that Grace already knew the routine as she was quite easy in that regard. Our trailer issue was mainly because my older trailer is quite claustrophobic and she didn't feel comfortable with it. She'd been used to a large gooseneck. Camryn would fly back out if someone wasn't standing at her head if you even thought butt bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, if you can get her into your trailer, you can get her into any trailer *lol* That is probably the most difficult configuration, but you've done it!

      Delete
  3. Grace is so very cute. I'm glad that the trailer practice is going well. I can't wait to hear about the lesson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be nervous as all get out. So far I've noticed when I am nervous at a lesson, it always passes quickly.

      Delete