Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Gone & did it...

Went to see a mini this morning, horse trailer in tow. I'd posted on several Ohio FB pages what I needed. Most replies were quite far off the mark, then finally one sounded like a good fit for us.  A 10 year old gelding, same size as Pippin, he'd been being used as a lesson horse for little riders at an equestrian center. The last few months however he'd been nearly jobless having given the wee ones the confidence to move up to larger mounts. He's also broke to drive, big bonus as even once the Grandkids outgrow riding him, he'll still be able to pull them in the cart. 
So Scooby, now to be known as Merlin has gone from jobless to having three jobs. One being Lincoln riding, secondly hubby driving, and probably most important of all...Pippins friend. 

I first put Pippin in the pasture, then unloaded Merlin so they could meet thru the fence safely. Pippin was so excited he was unsheathed, while running back and forth...

A little snuffling thru the fence...

After about an hour, I opened the gate and allowed Merlin into the pasture. Other than both galloping a circuit around the pasture, the meet & greet was pretty much a non-event...

They got right down to the business of eating...and being attached at the hip!

His owner had told me he gets along with pretty much everyone, when a new horse would come to the barn Merlin would be enlisted as its companion as it adjusted. 
His backstory is rather interesting, the person she'd bought him from had kept him tied in the yard for three years. He'd given her children rides, pulled cart & done pony parties. Prior to that he'd been in the petting zoo section of the Columbus Zoo.  
Would love to hear the stories he'd have to tell!


7 comments:

  1. oh my goodness- what an adorable pair! I love them both. Lincoln is going to lose his mind with excitement.
    How's Grace doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lincoln knows we'd been planning to get he and Pippin a friend. He can't wait to have two horsies. Grace is doing great, still on the market though!

      Delete
  2. Now you are making me want a mini. Stop it! They are both seriously cute. I too would love to know what Merlin thought about being in a petting zoo. I've been reading your blog religiously, and just realized that I hardly ever comment. Sorry about that. I got teary eyed reading about Lincoln bonding with Pippin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lincoln loving animals can do that to you lol. I'm totally getting why minis are like potato chips now myself. They're even more adorable up close and personal.

      Delete
    2. And don't feel bad I totally read your blog, yet rarely comment!

      Delete
  3. Minis make me melt with happiness. I want a little driving mini and a hyperbike. (Of course, since I *just* got a horse trailer, that won't be happening for a long time)

    Congratulations on your new boy. Maybe minis are your thing now, hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm really enjoying them. Still hoping to get back in the saddle when the boyz start school. I'll be in my mid 60's then however. 😐

      Delete