Monday, November 8, 2010

OUCH!!! New helmet ordered...

Camryn and I were playing having a great time in the pasture.  I'd put several cones down, would ride out to one, she'd touch & get her click/treat.  We'd progressed to her picking the cone up, just not to the point of reaching back for me to take it.  She did enjoy throwing them a lot though!!!  Anyway we were at the back of her pasture a few feet from the woods, when it happened.  Camryn isn't a spooky horse by any means, to her new things mean the possiblity of something perhaps being edible.  As she swung her ample self around, I proceeded to do a one rein stop.  As this was happening I could feel the spook disapating and she'd begun to swing back around to take a looksee (could be food you know), I was also thinking "I can ride this out no prob".  Technicly I did, the saddle didn't.  One of my habits (besides wearing a helmet), is to recheck her girth at the mounting block.  Well, I didn't so as she swung one way, the saddle slid down her side causing me to whack my noggin pretty good.  Sound effects from within the helmet probably sounded worse than it actually was!!!  I sat up, Camryn was standing looking down at me, I was surprised at the look of concern on her face.  Last time, I'm pretty sure she laughed!!!  My head hurt, my legs felt like rubber, I looked around to see what caused her spook.  About 6 feet from us was a huge gray/white hawk enjoying a squirrel dinner.  I'm guessing he flew right over us, grabbing it as it climbed a tree.  Decided the old saying about getting right back on the horse, wasn't wise if you had a concussion!!!  Camryn and I walked back to the barn, untacked, then she joined me in picking up the cones.  She does pick them up and hand them to me from the ground by the way.  The hawk was still eating, Camryn just watched with interest as it flew away when we walked up.
Oddly enough, hubby had just fallen at work hitting his head two days ago.  He's in Canada today, so I texted that we were a concussion couple!!!  Also that I was getting a new helmet!!!  He called right away to make sure I was OK.
Ordered the Tipperary Sportage 8500 Helmet online.  None of the tack stores in the area carry them and I'd heard good things about them.  Shame I'll have to miss the good riding weather till it comes.  But, as I was wearing my helmet, I'm uninjured so am able to ride again which is a HUGE BLESSING!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good Grief Woman!!! Ivy was probably laughing at you too;) Thank goodness for crash helmets!

    ReplyDelete