Monday, July 11, 2011

Progress across the board...

     Sorry, I'm a bad blogger.  Get to busy, to hot to even feel like parking myself at the computer.  I'm equally bad at taking pix as of late.  So that makes for boring blogs for the most part.
Anyway, Camryn has progressed with her self loading to where I can now do the butt bar whilst she munches away.  She is one that will need tied for sure when trailering.  If she drops some hay she's not adverse to perching her apple bottom on the butt bar to attempt to pick up what she's scattered.  I can just imagine my making a turn just as she does so and that would be ugly.  Makes me shiver just thinking of it.
    The pasture finally dried out enough for Camryn to use it.  I've been letting her graze for short periods as we build up to allowing her to graze most of the day.  She's a happy Hafy!!!  The bugs are HORRID however.  And with Camryn suffering from sweet itch she's pretty miserable.  Her Vet switched her meds around since the Dexa had been working so well, she thought we might be able to use Prednisonal.  Pred is safer regarding laminitus, she takes 50 tablets every other day.  Unfortunately the Pred just isn't cutting it for her, so it's back to the Dexamethasone.  With that she takes 3 pills every other day, it's a bit riskier but, so is an infection if she keeps ripping her face up on tree bark.  Poooooooor girl.
     With the pasture now dry enough to graze (though it's storming as I write this) we've now been riding each evening.  Sometimes just 1/2 hour as it's so hot, but at least we get to play.  Camryn's turning with leg cues is going awesome.  For some reason teaching her this took longer than anything else we've worked on.  Once she had her light bulb moment however she's 98% there.  I love not being in her mouth, she loves my not being in her mouth too!!!  Last night for some reason she decided to show off how well she can trot for some reason.  While I'm asking her to "walk on", Camryn is saying "but Mom look how well I can trot now that I'm not a chubby dumpling"!!!  I'm guessing that since last year we worked on her trot in the pasture she figures when we're back there, that's what I still want?  Either that or I'm cueing for a trot without meaning too?  She's not being bad, worried, or trying to escape bugs, it feels like she's trotting simply because that's what she wants to do. She walks when circling, doing serpentine, going thru the barn and in the paddock.  In the pasture if I ask for straight, I get trot!!!   I can ask her to Whoa and she does so, actually her Whoa is a little to good at the trot as I get thrown forward.  Me thinks I need to work on being more balanced LOL.  Also if I do a one rein stop, all I need to do is lift the rein while adding leg and she flexes and disengages happily.  So while trotting when she's supposed to be walking at least I have no problem with stopping her.  I'm thinking if I put her cones out to play with while riding I might be able to fix this odd problem.  If anyone has any suggestions feel free to post in comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment