Sunday, February 13, 2011

Rode today...

     Very first ride of the year!!!  Very windy, but 39 degrees, I just had too. Didn't do anything more than putt about the paddock, work on disengaging the rear, whoa and back.  The whoa and back were like we'd been riding daily.  Disengaging we need a few refreshers on. I was armed with clicker and treats, that helped enormously.  I'd sewed three rows of beads onto my reins over the winter, one row at the center, and a row on either side to tell my hands they're in the right place should I ever need to one rein stop.  I'd just as soon not need to think, hopefully the beads will help me "just do it". 
     I moved all my riding gear back down to the barn.  Camryn just watched from her hay net.  As I saddled up, she simply sighed.  Not sure if it was a sigh of "yes, we're gonna play", or "oh jeez, there goes my vacation".  Most likely the latter I suspect, especially as I did take her from her hay net!!!  Stood to mount, reaching back for her expected treat for doing so.  Again as if we hadn't taken such a long break.  Hadn't ridden since just prior to Thanksgiving.  Felt sooooooooo, good being back up & with my gurl.  Hubby got us stirrup rotators for Christmas, first time using them.  While I did have to reach down to slip my feet in once mounted, Camryn stands till I ask her to move out that's no prob.  The near side drops thee inches to mount I didn't try that part out and used the mounting block.  That part is rather bulky under my leg, so the jury is still out on that.
     The neighbors all headed out into the woods to ride, Camryn watched, wanting to go along.  But, when I turned her away she was good with it.  I'd just as soon, tweak on my own a bit & not head out on a windy day with others after such a long hiatus.
I'm so looking forward to our 2nd year together.  Almost forgot to mention, Camryn is actually beginning to enjoy affectionate scritches.  Especially under her chin.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting about the scritches...Pippin isn't much of a cuddle-bug either - but he does like to be on top of me. I have to remind him of his manners - a lot!
    So glad you had a good ride. You'll have to write more about the stirrup rotators and tell us how they work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I'd be quite crabby if I hadn't been able to ride for that length of time. Just missing days here and there is making me crazy. LOL

    It will be interesting to see how you like the stirrup rotators.

    ReplyDelete