Monday, February 28, 2011

Send the Ark...

Someone send an Ark!!!  My alarm hadn't gone off yet, when my phone rang.  It was my neighbor Danette.  She wanted to know how my barn looked as hers was flooded.  Popped right up and ran to the window.  The back pasture was a lake, paddock dry thank heavens. 
Got the dogs fed, & headed down to the barn.  A few large puddles in the aisle, Camryn's stall was dry.  Thankfully, I'd built the floor up over the summer. I'd also trenched around the barn and low spots of paddock during last thaw.  Must have had a premonition perhaps?
View from back barn door...

"It's not that bad Mom"
"It's all good Mom"...
I called Danette back to report my barns status.  Then headed over to help move the three in her home barn to her indoor arena at her boarding barn. 
"What a view from outside"...
"From front door, thru to back into pasture at Danette's home barn"

"Muck bucket is afloat"...

The horses were standing in water above their fetlocks!!!  Anything on the floor was floating about.  First we made sure we'd be able to move the horses safely.  Luckily the water didn't go over the bridges. We were unsure of one horses reaction so I brought up the rear as Danette lead him.  We had about a football field of flooding before making it to the bridge.  Under the water were icy patches & Rudy wears front shoes.  Left my camera in the barn for the voyage.  Did take one cell phone pix of Rudy & Danette walking towards bridge...




"Rudy needs a little convincing that the end is nearing"...

Danette's boarding barn is accessed via trails thru the woods.  Once again we had to be cautious of ice.  As we neared the barn we encounter another flooded area that resembled a river to the horses.  Once we had Rudy moved, we headed back for Dakota and Eclipse.  Both were quite happy to see us LOL.  In places the water went over our boots, so we were all quite wet.  All three were very good thru it all.  We already had hay down in the arena so once unclasped from their halters they all forgot about the flood!!!  More rain predicted, more snow to melt.  We really do need that Ark!!!


"This is not a pond, it is another neighbors yard!!!  Take note of the ducks"

5 comments:

  1. What a mess! That was quite a storm that rolled through last night. We live on a hill, so we didn't have any problems. I hope it dries out, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow we just had massive flooding at my place, we are still cleaning up weeks later, bt seeing your pictures makes me think " thank god our floods were in the summer and not the ice and snow of winter" how horrible

    cool blog!

    check out mine to

    www.wildhorseproject.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Cow! You weren't kidding about the Ark. I haven't seen that much water in years - not since we had 15 inches of rain in two days.
    Those poor horses, standing in all of that water. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh gosh, that is a mess! We didn't have anything like that in our barn but LOTS of flooding on my road. Ride in to school was awful, so many homes and yards just flooded. I have never seen anything like it in all the years I have lived out here. Glad your okay, my poor Dixie and her little legs!

    ReplyDelete