Monday, October 25, 2010

BFF together

Got a pic of the BFF together.  Camryn is doing her fav thing which is eating, Onyx doing one of his fav things, which is chillin.  And I'm doing my fav things just hanging out with the two of them. 
Notice Camryn eats from a slow feed hay bag.  When she came to me in Jan. she weighed in at nearly 1400 lb, an 11 on the heinke scale.  Of course 10 is the highest!!!  Vet recommended a low starch/low sugar feed, the amount fed to a 900 lb horse.  We switched from a 2nd cut grass hay, to 1st cut, fed in the small holed bags to slow her down a bit.  Started out just riding her at a walk, adding trotting once she'd gotten in a bit better shape.Our pasture is basically just enough keep her busy without adding much weight.  Last month she weighed 1030 lb. Vet feels maintaining what I'm doing now, with riding should take off the rest needed. 
I can tell she's enjoying the weight loss, poor girl I don't think she'd been able to roll as heavy as she'd been.  Of course she thinks she's starved to death and doesn't much appreciate my concern for her health. 
Her winter coat is coming in like the fur on a teddy bear, I just love running myy hands thru it.

No comments:

Post a Comment