Friday, October 8, 2010

changing bits/riding with a friend

After yesterdays ride, I decided to switch back to our full cheek snaffle.  Had a much happier girl, once it was in she settled right into it none of the chomping she did with the other.  Still going to pick up a new next week as the full cheek sometimes gets caught up in her bridle.  Planning to go with a D ring sweet iron I think.
This evening we got together with my neighbor/coworker for a ride.  She has a boarding barn/arena which we can access via a wooded trail at the back of my property.  She led her Spotted Saddle horse mare Dakota over while Camryn and I rode up thru the woods to meet her.  Rode over to the arena and worked a bit, back to her home barn thru the trails, back thru my woods to my barn, to the arena....
In the arena I was working with "easy" whenever Camryn broke into a trot I'd half halt then click/treat when she slowed.  Kind of worked!!!  She kept offering trot when not being asked having figured out that a c/t would be forthcoming as soon as she slowed LOL.  So, I resorted to having her keep trotting a bit longer than she wanted too.  Once I did that, Cam was more receptive to waiting to be asked.
Camryn is the opposite of barn sour, which my neighbor finds quite odd.  Once we're out of her pasture she's far from eager to head back home.  As I rode over to meet Danette/Dakota I made a point of turning her back thru our gate a few times.  We argued a tad, but she did end up finding it simpler to comply.   One of the reasons we rode back to my barn several times with Danette/Dakota was to work on that issue as I'd have to do it when we were done alone.  Funny thing was that Dakota wanted to get to our barn in the worst way, causing Danette to do a lot of circling, while Camyrn was still far from eager, so we were circling for the opposite reason!!!  The girls nicknames are "you be-Otch!!!  We were successful though as when it was time to go home, Camryn did so as if we'd never had a problem. 
I think one of the things I enjoy about her as she's not shy about offering her opinion.  Oddly when my TWH offered his, my heart would be in my throat.  His opinions were generally fear based, whereas Cams is more, just wanting to do it because she does.  With Camryn I feel totally confident I'll be fine, and once she realizes Momma means what she means, she's like totally fine.
I think this blogging is going to be a big aid for me.  I can look back from time to time, see where we've been and compare were we are later.

No comments:

Post a Comment