Sunday, October 10, 2010

Yet another first with Camryn

Many firsts for Cam & I this weekend.  Today we rode over and met up with friends in the woods.  They asked if Cam & I had ever ridden on the rode before.  We hadn't but, knowing the other three horses did the road quite well, I felt today would be a good day for our first time.  Camryn had ridden roads before but, it had been quite some time and I'd never ridden on the road period.  So off we went, Camryn was a bit edgyy at first, as one of the horses (Snip a huge TB) had been cantering on the trail out of sight but, not ear shot.  Took her a few moments to take the edge off but, did quite nicely.  Was comfy as always just bringing up the rear even several horse lengths behind.  When you ride a Hafy with a TB, TWH, and SSH  she'd better be comfy in that position LOL.  We did trot several times to stay up with them, I wanted to limit that on the asphalt with her bare feet but, also didn't want to be feeling "alone" when a vehicle appeared.  Once we returned we rounded the house to find Marty mowing the lawn.  The other three horses were like "Oh My, let's stay right here".  I finally said "Camryn is used to Marty scaring the snot out of her" so we led!!!  I was right she didn't care one bit.  We rode back to the boarding barn, dropped off Cameron (the TWH) and Snip.  At first Camryn didn't want to head back out to the trail but, finally followed Dakota away from the boys.  We headed back to Danette's home barn, she changed to her Morab/Molly, Lori was there saddling up Eclipse (Arab) so off we went again.  Unfortunately Molly didn't do well going down a hill in my woods, unsure how/why but, she ended up on her knees.  She righted herself and seemed fine, we walked her into my pasture so Danette could walk her on the flat and see if she were hurt.  She wasn't but, as she's quite elderly we called it a day and Danette led her home.  Hopefully Molly isn't any worse for the fall in the morning.
I've noticed something interesting on more than one occasion recently.  As we're walking and I'm enjoying the sway of Camryn's broad back, I'll feel her begin to walk out faster.  I'll think of how much I enjoy her gentle sway and she slows right back down.  When on the road today, each time we trotted came right as I was "thinking" should we trot to catch up, Camryn began trotting.  I didn't stop her even though I hadn't asked.  Because "perhaps I did?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment